Milk was the main income for the upper part of the Vallée des Belleville and its inhabitants. To enhance its value, certain villages had a dairy or "fruitière", named as such because this was where the milk's "fruit" was produced.
This building was constructed in 1920 with monies from the society members. During the winter, the members milk was collected and transformed into cheese in the village dairy. The local cheese was Tomme and Beaufort. As 400 litres is needed to make a cheese wheel, Beaufort could only be produced if several cattle farmers regrouped together in these dairies. The products were sold and the proceeds divided up proportionally among the members depending on the quantity of milk given.
The cheese making stopped in the 50s. Since then, the old dairy has been turned into a small village hall.